Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Accepting a Disaster


My beautiful greenhouse is a total loss.  I have been growing fruit and flowers in it for 2 decades. Needless to say, I am very sad.  Here are some photos to illustrate the magnitude of the loss:

I have been around long enough to have learned that I can only accept what I cannot change. I cannot undo the damage- nor can the greenhouse be repaired. The structure is irreparably damaged. I may be able to salvage many of the plants and possibly the pool and some of the furniture. So, what is next?

 The damage needs to be cleared up, and this is a monumental task. My gardener and I have already been pruning all the damage to the roses. We have taken buckets of broken glass out of their pots. There are some precious ferns, small fig trees , a bay tree and a rosemary bush with strong sentimental value to me. So many of my plants came from people I love- many of whom are no longer with us. We will have to find some help to remove the remains of the steel and glass and other debris. I am hoping for a crew who will respect the garden and do minimal damage in the clean-up operation!

This is really quite an "Adventure". One of my primary values is "Growth "and this is definitely an opportunity for growth! Dealing with a big loss, mustering my creative thinking to discover how I want to garden now and what I want to save is quite a challenge!

I am planning to have a new greenhouse !  It is time to redesign my garden. I would like the new greenhouse to be connected to my garden room  so that it is closer to the house. I also plan to make the garden  easier to maintain. I cannot imagine life without roses, flowers for the bees, the butterflies,and the hummingbirds. I love having little water gardens for frogs and dragon flies! I enjoy growing (and eating!) fruit, vegetables , and my favorite herbs. All of my life I have been strongly connected to these things. Life for me without a garden would be desolate.

I understand that there are tragedies in life far more sad and challenging than what I am dealing with. I am curious to know how you deal with loss, challenges, Life Adventures. I keep receiving little signs that "All is well, really".  I grew up with that conviction and I know in my bones that it is true- but i do struggle with some of the evidence right in front of my eyes! How about you? What sustains you when disaster strikes? Something must- or you would not be here reading this ;^)
Please leave your thoughts /feelings about this topic in the Comments below. I love your comments and I truly appreciate it when you read my Blog! See you next week!

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Oh no, that is so sad, but I’m sure something beautiful will come out of it. You just have a lot of hard work to do in the interim. I do hope you can salvage your plants, especially those that are precious to you.
It must be really exciting to plan your new greenhouse and the redesign of your garden. I will look forward to watching it grow and develop.
I honestly don’t know how I deal with loss and/or challenges. Somehow like everyone else I just do it. I'm sure I do a lot of weeping and soul searching first, but things usually have a way of coming good in the end.
It must have been such a shock for you to see your beloved greenhouse in such a sad way, but good on you for accepting the challenge and giving it a positive spin.

colleen said...

Thank you, Barbara. I so resonate with what you say-things really do have a way of coming good in the end. It was indeed a shock- and it took me awhile to really take it in.
I will keep you posted on all the work involved- I want this to be real sharing - not an update a year or two from now with a new greenhouse!
I am a bit dismayed to see that I had more views in one day on this post than I sometimes get in a week...Are people really more interested in bad news? I hope not!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry, Colleen. What a shock this must have been. Sounds like you have a wonderful attitude for starting over again and I truly hope all of your plants can be saved. Take care of yourself, step by step, and I'll look forward to seeing your brand new greenhouse some day.

colleen said...

Thank you for your good wishes, Marcia! Yes, it still makes me a bit shaky when I work on the salvaging and tend to the plants I hope to save. I plan to post updates from time to time about this challenge/adventure! I keep thinking "All is well...Really!"

Barbara said...

Dear Colleen, I wonder if people were searching the word ‘disaster’ because of the earthquakes in Italy or because of Hurricane Matthew or maybe there is a new film or something. I would hate to think of anyone searching out bad news.

I will enjoy seeing your greenhouse ‘rise from the ashes’ it will be nicer than being presented with a shiny new greenhouse with no way of knowing how it got there. As readers of your blog we can’t do a lot to help, but we can cheer you along.

Thank you for your lovely comment about our granddaughters, we are very proud of them.

colleen said...

Thank you, Barbara! Cheering me along is the BEST!!!