Saturday, January 31, 2015

Eccentric Glamour by Simon Doonan -Advanced Style for beginners?

Some of you know I LOVE  Advanced Style both the blog advancedstyle.blogspot.com/  and the film advancedstylefilm.com/ by Ari Seth Cohen. Gorgeous people expressing themselves - not just in their dress but in the way they live full out on their own terms. Ageless Beauty Embodiment and Crazy Beautiful to the max!
 One of my Crazy Beautiful friends, Laura Madden www.laura-madden.com/ recommended that I read Eccentric Glamour by Simon Doonan. Thank you, Laura! It is  an extremely entertaining book. Rapier sharp wit  with  advice on discovering the eccentric glamour that is exclusively YOU! Why not get dressed in clothes that express the eccentric glamour that is your unique style?
 Why are so many of us schlepping around in dull, boring, often unattractive, ill fitting clothes? Admittedly this book offers extreme examples of eccentric glamour (desperate cases require desperate remedies). I found the book very funny- I am sure my abs are in better shape after laughing so hard  all the way through it. It also got me to thinking.  I really do not fit any of Simon Doonan's basic types- but still...Why not wear what I really want to wear? 
Thanks to Simon Doonan I am on a mission to sew some 1950s vintage full skirted nipped in waist style dresses for spring and summer. I have already found some vintage patterns and I can cobble some together with some patterns that I already had. I LOVE making my own designs. Now the search is on for a proper 50s petticoat to make the skirts flare out ! 
Winter is a bit more of a challenge. I need to keep warm! I do like leggings with tunics...but they need vamping up with some scarves and jewellry- and why shouldn't I wear a tiara sometimes?
I made a video about the book ( part of my 52 Videos in 52 Weeks Challenge set by Michelle White Hart http://www.michellewhitehart.com
Here is the link for the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdSsgJ2Hk_c

No comments: