Wednesday, August 10, 2016

San Lorenzo - Make a Wish on a Shooting Star!

Tonight is the Night of San Lorenzo! Those of us who read Italian can see many accounts on the net. Here is one
 http://www.ilsussidiario.net/News/Cronaca/2016/8/10/NOTTE-DI-SAN-LORENZO-2016-Le-stelle-cadenti-in-arrivo-le-localita-migliori-per-osservare-il-fenomeno-oggi-10-agosto-/718148/

There are also accounts in English
 http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/meteor-shower/perseid.html

Some accounts say that San Lorenzo is the patron saint of booksellers-and since I was a bookseller for many years, I feel certain that I can wish tonight:

http://archyworldys.com/night-of-san-lorenzo-2016-events-in-milan-and-italy/

Where I live it is forecast to be mostly clear from about 1am- 4am so maybe by some miracle I will be able to see the Perseid shower this year on the actual Night of San Lorenzo. It is usually too cloudy or actually raining. The peak time is tomorrow night- but I plan to be out there tonight as well to make my wish. When I was a child I would stand out under the stars or look out my window and make a wish because I always felt that the stars were shooting above me whether or not I could actually see them -and I might as well make a wish! I have better luck seeing the shooting stars in winter when the skies are generally clear here.

 Here are some of my favorite pictures from old children's books depicting stars falling and making wishes. It is never too late to begin making wishes and believing that they will come true!

Do you stargaze? Are you going out this week to see the shooting stars? I hope your wishes come true!
Please leave a comment below or email me colleen412@gmail.com or pm me on Facebook. I Love comments. Also see my Pinterest boards https://www.pinterest.com/colleen2322/

12 comments:

Sally said...

Thanks for the heads up. I love seeing shooting stars and feeling their messages directly from the Divine!

colleen said...

So glad you enjoyed my blog,Sally! Tonight and tomorrow night( clear skies permitting) are supposed to be the best for viewing in years! I hope your wish comes true and that your messages arewonderfully uplifting.

Reba Linker said...

I love the illustrations you shared, Colleen. Children are so much closer to the magic and mystery of life so they convey that sense of wonder that, thankfully, I till feel. I most certainly am a stargazer, star person and love a sparkling night sky almost more than anything!

colleen said...

Will you be out under the stars tonight or tomorrow night to make a wish,Reba? I hope it comes true!

Janet said...

There's something so magical about stars. I always make a wish on the first star I see at night. Shooting stars are even more special. I hope your wishes come true.

colleen said...

Hi Janet! I wish on the first star I see at night as well! My nanny taught me "Star light, Star bright,first star I see tonight..." Did you see any falling stars last night to wish upon? Tonight is supposed to be the best night for the most falling stars-if your weather is clear. It was mostly clear last night here and at 2am I went out for about an hour and I saw 3 falling stars! Enchanting!

Anonymous said...

What an enchanting post, love your picture choices. I think last night was cloudy, almost rainy, where I am, but maybe tonight I'll take a look. Happy star gazing!

colleen said...

Thank you, Marcia! I hope it will be clearer for you tonight! Tonight is supposed to be the best night (after midnight)to see the shooting stars. Friday and Saturday will still be good as long as the moon is not too bright. I hope you can see them and that your wishes come true! Last night was enchanting- I am looking forward to tonight (well,2am tomorrow).

Barbara said...

Hello Colleen, how interesting. Thanks for providing the link to the English page, sadly I don’t speak or read Italian.
I’m working on a blog post about some postcards associated with St. Catherine, who is said to be the patron saint of libraries and librarians, as well as teachers, archivists, and all those associated with wisdom and teaching. It won’t be on the blog until St. Catherine’s day, which is in November, but I mention it is because I had no idea St. Catherine was associated with libraries, just as I had no idea San Larenzo was associated with booksellers!
I do hope you got to see those shooting stars, and I also hope all your wishes come true. I love the images on this post.

colleen said...

Hello Barbara! I look forward to your blog on St. Catherine. I have long loved the Night of San Lorenzo, but I just discovered that he is a patron saint of booksellers!
I went out on the Night of San Lorenzo and I saw 3 falling stars. It was so lovely lying on a quilt in a field looking up at the starry sky! Very noisy as well- frogs & crickets! The next night I went out because it was going to be the peak time for the Perseid showers. My goodness! It was enchanting! So many stars shooting across the sky! Usually it is too cloudy or even raining at this time of year-so this time it was a real treat! Thank you so much for reading and commenting, Barbara!

Barbara said...

How I wish I could have seen those shooting stars with you - it sounds wonderful, especially the frogs and crickets.

colleen said...

Perhaps someday you will come for a visit...and I will come to lovely Somerset again! It would also be fun to have a small group of lovely ladies in Italy!