Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Dress Like an Icon Part Two- Days 5-7

This week I am winding up the Dress like an Icon Challenge from Eyenie Schultz on Facebook.

Day 5 " Using Intuitive Dressing, tap into your Iconic Visionary Dream Self and wear something that scares the dickens out of you! Maybe it's a skirt that you love that's shorter than usual. Maybe it's an extra blingy piece of jewelry or a razzle-dazzle sparkly dress. Perhaps it's something involving studs or leather or feathers or bright-ass colors, or that hugs your curves in all the right places! Have fun and get risky!!! Own it!" 

We were supposed to do a video- but I could not manage it, so I took extra pictures. I received this gorgeous tiara for my birthday in April and I have worn it only once before and even then just for photos.  Next time I wear it I plan to actually have people see me in it- not just in photos. This Challenge is giving me growing pains!
 

    
  I LOVE tiaras! The more sparkle the better!  I LOVE pink sandals! I LOVE crystal necklaces! I LOVE long dresses!  Especially when they tie in back! I am going to wear what I love from now on and not care if people think I am crazy. I can be Crazy-Beautiful !
                              



Day 6 Here is my Day 6 outfit.  A Vintage dress- never worn by me hanging in my sewing room ( for more years!! than I want to count). I also excavated some vintage satin lace trimmed full slips!! This Challenge is so much fun, Eyenie Schultz-thank you!
  My Iconic art is taking vintage pieces and giving them another chance to be seen. This dress was my step mother's.It is difficult to see, but it is embroidered cotton gauze from Germany- it was vintage 50 years ago when she acquired it. It is really too big and my plan is to make a tunic -cutting away the plain gauze and keeping every bit of embroidery!

 Day 7 OMG! I made it! I hate taking photos of myself- but I have grown into it a bit. I really enjoyed excavating unworn clothes that I LOVE, but have never worn. Today I wore this vintage 50s dress-complete with appropriate "foundation garments" - not a crinoline (too hot!) but a lovely vintage cotton buckram petticoat to make the skirt stand out! I am surprised at how many nice comments and compliments I have received this week as I dressed just for me! This has been an enlightening challenge. Thank you, Eyenie Schultz for creating this growth experience. I do not plan to look back (except by dressing my way- vintage /retro!). From now on I am dressing to feel good, to feel beautiful and to please myself! 

How about YOU? Do you dress to be the person you aspire to be? Do you dress to please yourself? Sometimes even with work uniforms we can add an accessory or two to make a statement. I would love to read comments  about how you respond to this challenge. Please leave a comment below or email me  or comment on Facebook. I love the comments on these blogs! Thank you for stopping by!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

All three of these outfits look wonderful on you. Love all the beautiful lacy embroidery and tiaras--how fun!

colleen said...

Thank you, Marcia! What do you like to wear that makes you feel like the most beautiful you? It is fun to become brave enough to wear whatever I like regardless of fashion or other people's opinions about what is "age-appropriate".

Unknown said...

The white dress looks absolutely gorgeous and positively flattering on you!

Janet said...

Such beautiful dresses, it would be a shame not to wear them more often. What a fabulous challenge. We should dress to make ourselves feel happy.

colleen said...

Yes, Janet! Dress to make ourselves happy! I am practicing dressing to be happy every day. The new challenge is to make my housecleaning and gardening clothes more colorful and attractive... Thank you for your encouragement-especially since you are always so well dressed in your photos!

Barbara said...

Hello Colleen, you look beautiful in all your outfits, but I especially love the embroidered cotton gauze from Germany. You have accessorised it so well with the pink pumps and waist tie – just lovely.
My sister gave me a scarf come necklace affair for my birthday, blue with silver trimmings. I was very unsure when I opened it, and my husbands first comment was “can you take it back?” I thought about it and then decided my sister had spent time picking it and wrapping it for me, so I was jolly well going to wear it. I put it on on the morning of my birthday and ended up wearing it all day. It is completely not me, but I really love it.

colleen said...

Dear Barbara! PLEASE post a photo on your blog or email one to me of you in your Diva birthday scarf! Perhaps your sister ( and some of us!!) sees something about you that you are not yet aware of...Are you sure, sure, sure it is completely not you? You really love it...